Summer is coming, and you know what this means – it’s time to hit the beach! There’s nothing like a fun day at the beach and exciting adventures in a tropical paradise to help you reboot from the daily grind. Whether you’re with family, friends or your significant other, any getaway that involves sun, sand, and sea are recipes for a perfect summer holi
If you want something close to home – imagine lounging at Sentosa Island or soaking up the sun and getting lost in the charm of nearby Bintan or St. John Island. If you’re looking for a picturesque locale, Bali in Indonesia, Boracay in the Philippines, or Krabi in Thailand will tickle your fancy. Whichever you decide to go to, a perfect summer vacation awaits you.
And with every decision to go for a beach trip, comes a fun prelude – shopping! Everyone knows it’s time to hit the shops for beach essentials as soon as they make the decision to go – and just as well, because packing the right things ensure a stress-free getaway. So, here’s our top 10 things to bring when planning for a beach escape.
Her Beach Trip Cheat Sheet
Women tend to pack everything when going on a beach holiday. So, it’s really mind-boggling when they still manage to forget a few essentials while on a packing spree (Admit it…. It’s happened to the best of us!) For beach trips or any other vacation, it’s important to prioritize the must-haves so you don’t bring a lot of stuff you won’t even need.
1. Swimsuit. Look for a one-piece or two-piece swimsuit that flatters your figure. Better yet, bring two suits so that you’ll have something to wear while you can leave the other one to dry. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, Quiksilver / Roxy / DC Outlet, H&M and Cotton On.
2. Sarong. It’s a versatile piece that you can wear as a scarf when it’s chilly, as a cover-up on top of your swimsuit, as a beach towel, or as an accessory piece that you can wear around your waist to jazz up your swimwear. Get it at: H&M and Cotton On.
4. Maxi dresses/Sundresses. The perfect lightweight outfit that keeps you chic yet comfy while walking on the beach or while having afternoon drinks with your friends. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, Quiksilver / Roxy / DC Outlet, H&M and Cotton On.
5. Beach bag. The perfect beach bag should be roomy enough for things like your favourite book and has lots of pockets to keep smaller essentials like your sunglasses and sunscreen. Get it at: Billabong Outlet and H&M.
7. Sunhat. Just like your sunnies, a sunhat provides protection under the sun and makes a great style statement, too. Pick one that’s foldable or can be rolled up easily in your bag. Get it at: H&M and Uniqlo.
8. Flip flops. Comfy slippers are a must, especially if you’re fond of long walks by the beach or sightseeing. Bring one that goes well with your swimwear. Get it at: Charles & Keith, Rubi Shoes and The Flip Flop Shop.
9. A clutch or pouch bag. Bring one to store little items like your lip balm, comb, wallet, and other essentials. A cross body bag is also a great idea when doing a little shopping or sightseeing. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, Cotton On and Rubi Shoes.
10. Gadget-related essentials. Make sure to bring protective phone cases, chargers for your cell phone and camera, earphones/headphones, and selfie sticks for your Instagram-worthy moments. Get it at: Challenger and Harvey Norman.
His Beach Staples
Compared to women, men pack light. So light that more often than not, they tend to forget the essentials behind. Avoid this by keeping a list of these key items.
1. Board shorts. A necessity when hitting the beach or just lounging away under the sun. Find a pair that not only looks good with any shirt but is comfy to wear as well. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, Quiksilver / Roxy / DC Outlet, H&M and Cotton On.
2. Tank top. Tank tops in solid colours like navy blue or white take your summer look a notch higher. Plus, they keep you protected from the sun or the chill after a good swim. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, Quiksilver / Roxy / DC Outlet, H&M and Cotton On.
3. Linen shirt. Linen shirts in light colours are the perfect outfit to wear to keep you stylish yet comfy while going for romantic walks with your significant other on the beach or while having a nightcap with the guys. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, H&M and Uniqlo.
4. Drawstring shorts. A great pair to complement your linen shirt, drawstring shorts are the ultimate essentials when you want to dress casually for a fun night at the bar. Get it at: Billabong Outlet, Quiksilver / Roxy / DC Outlet, H&M and Cotton On.
5. Beach bag. Bring one that’s durable and large enough to accommodate all your beach gear. Get it at: Cotton On.
6. Cooler bag. Store your cold drinks and snacks in a cooler bag that’s light enough to bring to the beach. You need cool beverages to keep you hydrated after fun activities under the sun. Get it at: Harvey Norman.
7. Waterproof slippers/flip flops/sandals. Find a pair that’s lightweight to take you from the beach to the bar and provides extreme comfort when walking on the sandy shore. Get it at: Billabong Outlet and Crocs.
9. Hat. It’s a beach staple you can’t be without, as it protects you from UV rays while upping your summer style. Get it at: Uniqlo.
Keep these essential in mind as well
Some basic items that you should stash away, too, when you want to make sure that your beach getaway will be as smooth sailing as the calm waves.
1. Bring your own towel as the hotel or resort you’re staying in may not allow you to bring theirs outside.
6. You won’t be frolicking in the sea all the time, so when you’re tired of all that, have a book or two with you to pass the time.
7. Probably the top on everyone’s list nowadays is the camera – to document your amazing time at the beach. Waterproof cameras let you get great underwater shots, but if you don’t have this, check if your camera has a compatible waterproof housing. Get it at: Best Denki, Challenger, Click! and Harvey Norman.
There are other essentials you may want to bring depending on the activities you will be doing at the beach. Items like snorkel gear or rash guard for surfing are things you should consider bringing as well.
So, pack your bags with these key items and you could definitely expect a beach trip unlike any other. Remember that being prepared is crucial to any vacation, and having these essentials ensure a more enjoyable and fuss-free time at the beach.