Impress your mother-in-law this Christmas with a surreal tiered cake, without having to mix up any cake batter at all!
Its actually a fake cake sitting underneath all of that lush cake embellishment! So why not skip the Christmas tree and create a luscious cake reminiscent of the gingerbread houses that most of us have come to love around the festive season. No, it’s neither a house, nor made of edible gingerbread, but it’s gloriously covered in sweet goodies for young and old to enjoy alike!
- Styrofoam base
- Double-sided tape
- Any sweets or chocolate of your choice
- Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Frosting (available at Cold Storage)
- Food colouring
- Create your styrofoam tiers by shaping them into cylindrical shapes. Then, secure them down to your cake stand with double-sided tape, making sure that each tier is centered on top of each other.
- Colour your frosting with any food colouring of your choice. With a spatula, ice your styrofoam cake tiers in frosting. Don’t worry if it isn’t neat; you’ll be covering the imperfections with your flowers and cake decorations soon.
- This is the fun bit! Simply place your decorations anywhere you like! The frosting should help to keep the decorations in place. If they move a little, just add a small dollop of frosting to the spots where you want them to be before putting them on.
- Keep the finished cake proudly standing in an air-conditioned room to prolong the time that it can be adored!
Of course, nothing will beat pure, indulgent holiday baking, with freshly-made cinnamon cookies just coming out of the oven, and marshmallowy s’mores baked into everything. But, especially for the non-bakers among us, Christmas is a time for miracles. So, why not create a wondrous and magical cake for all your loved ones? Just be careful – they may expect it every year!
Where To Get Your Ingredients & Tools
If you’re unsure about the direction of your blooms for the cake, head down to Flora Springs & Party (Anchorpoint), A Tilly A Day (Waterway Point), Exim Arts (Anchorpoint), Mi-O-Gifts (YewTee Point & Waterway Point) and Noel Gifts (Changi City Point) for their floral know-how and flowers.
Get your craft materials from Daiso (Eastpoint Mall & Waterway Point), Smiggle (Northpoint), Elements by Home-Fix (Waterway Point), Home-Fix The D.I.Y Store (Eastpoint Mall, Causeway Point & Northpoint) and Japan Home (Anchorpoint, Causeway Point, Northpoint, YewTee Point, Eastpoint Mall & Waterway Point).