Halloween is the perfect excuse to dress up as anything you fancy!
This year, it’s bound to be all about superheroes on and off the screen, so why not become one for a day? And while there is no shortage of costume rental places in Singapore, renting superhero costumes during peak periods like Halloween can be pricey. Fortunately, there’s a way you can dress in character without breaking the bank! Plus, the process of making your own Halloween costume will definitely be a fun one!
Here are some exciting costume ideas to wear on your next after-work Halloween party or, if you have kids, on their trick-or-treating quest. The best thing about these outfits is that you can make them at home at a fraction of the rental cost. All you need is a little DIY magic and your imagination!
At one point in our lives, we’ve all fantasised about having superhuman strength, speed and senses – if only to get us through a tough day. So, it’s not surprising that possibly the most iconic character that comes to mind whenever we talk about superheroes is Superman. But who knew it could be so easy to channel a Superman look? Simply follow these easy steps!
- Superman printed tee
- White long-sleeved shirt
- Black pants
- Smart dress shoes
- Black tie
Put it together
- Grab a cool Superman tee. If this is not available, simply print out a Superman logo and stick it onto a plain blue shirt.
- Wear the tee hidden under a white long-sleeved shirt. Pair it with a pair of black pants and dress shoes, and top it off with a black a tie.
- Conceal your identity with a pair of reading glasses.
- Reveal the iconic ‘S’ at the first sign of danger!
2. Wonder Woman
There’s no better figure for a strong and independent female role model than Wonder Woman. It’s no surprise then that she is one of the crowd favourites when picking a character costume!
- Red tee
- Blue skirt
- Gold fabric tape
- Craft stars
- Gold cardboard
- Red tape
Put it together
- On a plain red tee, create your own Wonder Woman insignia with gold fabric tape. Start with taping down the lines from the middle of the insignia, working your way outward to maintain the symmetry of the ‘W’.
- Next, glue down craft stars onto a blue skirt.
- For Wonder Woman’s Bracelets of Submission, cut out a piece of cardboard into a length that will fit halfway up your forearm. Roll it into a tube and glue the ends together to make cardboard cuffs.
- Ensure that there is enough space to slip the cardboard cuff over your wrists. Cut out 2 stars from glittery red tape, and stick them onto your cuffs.
- Don your completed outfit and get ready to fight the bad guys.
Kids love kittens, so why not make them into a superhero they will adore?
- Black long-sleeved top & matching leggings
- Black belt
- Black gloves
- Black ballet flats
- Black hairband
- Black pipe cleaners
- Black furry yarn
- Safety pin
- Black eyeliner and nail polish
- Red lipstick
Put it together
- Shape two pieces of black pipe cleaner into cat ears and twist the ends around a black hairband.
- Wrap some black, furry yarn around a long pipe cleaner. Build up the ‘fur’ around the pipe cleaner until you get your desired fluffiness. Change the shape of your tail by simply bending the pipe cleaner.
- Pair a black, long-sleeved top with some black leggings. Add a large, black belt, gloves and ballet flats.
- Pin the tail to the back of the costume with a safety pin, and put on the ears.
- Finish off the look with black painted nails, cute whiskers on the cheeks using black eyeliner, and a touch of red lipstick.
- Team up a superhero crew, and go trick-or-treating!
You might have heard of the phrase, ‘Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.’ Who doesn’t want to be a masked crime fighter with cool gadgets and a huge mancave? Boys will surely love to be Batman so turn them into one!
- Batman tee
- Grey pants
- Black sneakers
- Black cloth
- Black felt
Put it together
- Outline Batman’s mask onto black felt and carefully cut along the outline. Punch two holes on each side of the mask to put ribbons through.
- Cut out the shape of a cape from a piece of black cloth. Punch two holes on the neck end of the cape to put a ribbon through.
- Cut out a piece of the cardboard to make into two cuffs. Cut it in the desired length before you roll it into a tube and glue the ends together. Ensure that there is enough space to slip the cardboard cuff around your wrists.
- Match the Batman tee with grey pants and black sneakers.
- Slip on the cuffs and cape.
- Don’t forget to conceal your identity with your very own Bat mask!