Want to make a statement with your table decor this Lunar New Year, but don’t want to spend a fortune on floral decorations? Get creative and use a majestic pineapple!
“Be a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown, & be sweet on the inside.”
The pineapple trend couldn’t be more apt than during the CNY festivities! Traditionally, pineapples make their appearance in delicious pineapple tarts, because they are believed to bring good luck and fortune for the new year. In Chinese dialects, their pronunciation alludes to prosperity arriving (“fortune, come”). As the golden or yellow colour is traditionally used in imperial service, it symbolizes wealth, as well as happiness.
So, we’ll advise you to extravagantly deck your home in pineapples (and even covered in gold) for prosperity!
- Pretty pineapple
- Gold spray paint
- It’s as easy as simply spraying your pineapple with paint until you get your desired gold tint!
- Let dry completely before using as an accent to your table arrangements.
- A perfectly plump pineapple
- Floral foam
- Flowers of your choice
- Ice cream scoop or large spoon
- Slice the top of the pineapple off.
- Dig out the flesh of the pineapple with the ice cream scoop, being careful not to pierce the pineapple skin.
- Cut a block of floral foam to fit the inside of the pineapple, and fill it with water.
- Start building your floral creation, assembling and trimming your flower stalks to create the desired look over your pineapple base.
Where To Get Your Flowers & Tools
Pick out a magnificent pineapple or two from supermarkets Little Farms (Valley Point), Cold Storage (Anchorpoint, Causeway Point, The Centrepoint & Northpoint), FairPrice Finest (Changi City Point, Valley Point & Waterway Point) & NTUC FairPrice (Eastpoint Mall & YewTee Point).
Find gold paint at art supply shops like Artbox (Causeway Point), Du Yi Bookshop (Bedok Point), Exim Arts (Anchorpoint), Evergreen Stationery (Changi City Point), Daiso (Eastpoint Mall & Waterway Point), & Popular (Causeway Point, Eastpoint Mall & Northpoint).