The sight of Christmas crackers (or bon bons) undeniably sets the mood for merry fun during the festive season, with their happily wrapped shapes and jolly colours.
Usually part of the holiday table setting, they are a ritual to pull open before one digs into the Christmas meal. Whether you use them as the perfect final touch for your last minute table set up, or as cute and inexpensive stocking stuffers, nothing beats creating Christmas goodies that will be more meaningful than a generic store-bought product. Make your crackers stand out by filling them with whatever you know your guests will love, other than your standard paper crowns, cheap toys and bad jokes.
Best of all, you can make them from leftover wrapping paper and ribbon, and a repurposed toilet paper tube!
- Colourful wrapping paper
- Toilet paper tubes
- Cracker snaps
- Little treats & gifts (they should be able to fit in a cracker)
- Metallic markers
- Coloured cardstock
- Jute string
- Get creative with your marker! Draw fun shapes/make polka dots/write pretty lettering on the wrapping paper.
- Cut one toilet paper tube down the centre in a zigzag fashion (this is to help it split open down the centre when pulled). Glue a cracker snap to the inside of the tube for a great pop!
- Line 1 tube on each side of the cracker snap tube (there should be 3 tubes altogether), and cut the wrapping paper to match the total length of the tubes.
- Glue one edge of the wrapping paper to the cracker snap tube. Then, roll the wrapping paper over the tubes and seal it.
- Slide one end of the tube out slightly and twist the wrapping paper. Tie with a ribbon.
- On the other end, fill with your chosen goodies, before also securing with ribbon.
- Decorate until you’re happy with the final product.
- Find a friend to pull your Christmas cracker with!
Have fun personalising each cracker! Your guests will appreciate your thoughtfulness, and the handmade goodness befitting of the holiday! They’re also perfect for a smashing new year’s eve party! There’ll be goodies & confetti strewn all over the house when everyone is happily done popping their cracker, but isn’t that the fun of it all? Just be careful popping them over the dinner table – you might get loot in your soup!
Where To Get Your Crafting Tools & Gifts
Grab all your craft materials from Artbox (Causeway Point), Du Yi Bookshop (Bedok Point), Evergreen Stationery (Changi City Point), Schon Collection (YewTee Point), & Popular (Causeway Point, Eastpoint Mall & Northpoint).
Pick up mini gifts and treats like fancy USB cables, decorative badges and keychains from great stores like Metro (The Centrepoint & Causeway Point), Mini Toons (Causeway Point), Magic Wand (The Centrepoint), Mi-O Gifts (YewTee Point & Waterway Point), Precious Thots (Causeway Point), Smiggle (Northpoint), & even Cotton On (Anchorpoint, Causeway Point, Changi City Point, Northpoint & Waterway Point).