Little Lemon Syrup Cakes
Recipe Courtesy of Cold Storage
Host a tea party and really impress your friends with these dainty little lemon cakes! The key to this recipe is to beat air into the egg whites until you see really stiff peaks, thereafter, fold them into the mixture with gentle loving care. This will ensure that your cakes come out extra fluffy and moist!
- 1 cup Waitrose Duchy Organic White Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ cup Hain Organic Sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease six muffin pans.
- Cut six lemon slices. Coat each lemon slice with sugar and place one in each muffin pan.
- Grate 2 tsp lemon rind and juice two lemons.
- Beat butter, ½ cup sugar and lemon rind till light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk egg whites in another bowl till stiff peaks form.
- Mix baking powder into the flour. Add flour to butter mixture, followed by 1 tbsp lemon juice and milk, and stir till well combined.
- Fold egg whites into the butter and flour mixture.
- Divide mixture between prepared muffin pans and bake for 20 minutes. Leave for 10 minutes and turn out onto a baking tray.
- Cook remaining sugar with 1/3 cup of lemon juice till sugar dissolves and a syrup has formed.
- Spoon half the syrup over cakes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve with remaining syrup.
Make you sure you get fresh lemons for this recipe as it will make a big difference! Also, the lemon syrup in this recipe can be used for other sweet treats like fresh lemon pancakes. What a great way to get your kids up in the morning!
Looking for muffin pans? Take a look at the extensive baking section at Cold Storage as well.