The Lunar New Year is a great time to come together with your family and indulge in traditional dishes and goodies.
Why not update the feast and serve a festive platter of rainbow fruit that is both visually vibrant and good for your health? It’s also easy for young families and busy parents to prepare, amidst all the CNY hustle and bustle.
It’s perfect for anyone who wants a fresh and modern take on the traditional tray of nuts, old-school cookies, and other CNY snacks of yesteryear.
- Luxe serving platter
- All kinds of fruits (mix fruits of different sizes for an interesting texture)
- Cookie cutters
- For mangoes, remove the cheeks from each side of the mango stone and score with a sharp knife in a criss-cross pattern. Press from the skin side to open out.
- Strawberries can be served whole, halved to reveal the lovely pyramid outline, or slit at ascending intervals to create a strawberry rose. Leave the green tops on to add colour and make them easier to pick up.
- Add passion fruit halves for colour and their enticing aroma. Drizzle over juicy watermelon wedges for a zingy, thirst-quenching taste.
- Garnish with pomegranate jewels and fruit shapes for more texture, and serve.
Top tip for busy hosts: Prep your fruit platter in advance and keep it looking fresh by soaking your fruit slices in saltwater (½ tsp salt dissolved in 1 cup of cold water) to keep them from browning. Soak for 10 minutes, then rinse off. This will keep the fruits from oxidizing for a few hours, and the salt is barely noticeable!
As we know, the Chinese New Year period is all about good fortune and regrowth, and fruits and flowers are rich in seasonal symbolism. So, whether it’s for your grand reunion dinner, or just an intimate gathering among friends, a rainbow plate of healthy fruit for everyone to enjoy can be very meaningful, as well as pretty to present to your guests. Of course, feel free to stuff your fruit platter with as much ‘auspicious’ fruit as you like! It’s the best opportunity to consume as much luck as possible for a sane amount of CNY calories!
Where To Get Your Ingredients & Party Tableware
Start your new year with stylish, new serving ware (and cookie cutters) from Madera De Mango (Causeway Point), Courts (Causeway Point), Japan Home (Anchorpoint, Causeway Point, Eastpoint Mall, Northpoint, YewTee Point & Waterway Point), Harvey Norman (Bedok Point & Northpoint), Metro (The Centrepoint & Causeway Point), & Kitchen + Ware (Waterway Point).
Have fun picking out all kinds of fresh fruit for your platter from Little Farms (Valley Point), Cold Storage (Anchorpoint, Causeway Point, The Centrepoint & Northpoint), FairPrice Finest (Changi City Point, Valley Point & Waterway Point) & NTUC FairPrice (Eastpoint Mall & YewTee Point).
Get pretty, scented candles & fragrances for your festive table at BsaB (The Centrepoint), Typo (Anchorpoint & Waterway Point), Oasis By M.D.M (Causeway Point), The Aroma Hub (Northpoint), & Yankee Candle (Changi City Point).